Everything To Know About Living In Southlake
In the words of author John Steinbeck, Texas is a state of mind. Each year, thousands of people decide to move to Southlake Texas for the weather, the culture, and the unique qualities that make the state one-of-a-kind.
Where is Southlake Texas? The city of about 32,000 is on the outskirts of Dallas/Fort Worth. It’s a young, thriving community, where 60% of Southlake Texas households have children under 18. If you’re looking for a city with a quaint, close-knit feel with access to the culture and events of a big city, Southlake Texas fits the bill.
Living in Southlake TX
One of the city’s biggest perks is the relatively short distance from Southlake TX to Dallas TX. A short half-hour drive brings you to the heart of Dallas, where you can enjoy sporting events, culture, and gourmet food. A short work commute from Southlake to Dallas is also a benefit.
Safety isn’t a concern if you are moving to Southlake – it’s been named the safest city in Texas and the 22nd safest city in the nation, making it an ideal place to raise a family and feel secure in your home. City planners went above and beyond to create a safe, attractive community with shopping and dining right in the Southlake city limits — and it’s a 10-minute drive to the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport for quick trips out of town.
The Frankie Arthur Real Estate agents can help you find the perfect home to enjoy everything Southlake has to offer. Whether you’re new to the state or moving to Southlake from Dallas/Fort Worth to enjoy a slower style of living, we’ll find a place for you to call home.
Cost of Living
Texas property tax rates and cost of living are a bit higher than the rest of the south, but by moving to Southlake, you’ll find some of the lowest property tax rates in the DFW area. Southlake Texas has a 2.46% property tax rate and a 20% homestead tax exemption and adheres to financial guidelines and carefully funded city projects. The result is a financially stable city working to keep taxes to historic lows — which means it’s a great time to buy a home in Southlake TX.
Education, Schools, Universities
If you ask families living in Southlake Texas what the biggest draw is to the city, many will tell you it’s the K-12 education. The Texas Education Association exemplary-rated Carroll Independent School District provides top-rated education and teachers for the Southlake community, and a handful of private schools.
The Carroll Independent School District has a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1 for more effective one-on-one teaching. The benefit shows in state test scores: 90% of the students are proficient in math and 85% are proficient in reading. The schools have robust activities like athletics, technology, fine arts, and more.
Opportunities for higher education are abundant with a short drive from Southlake to Dallas. Some of the colleges include:
- Strayer University
- University of Dallas
- Dallas College
- Wade College
When you move to Southlake TX, you and your family will be provided excellent education from kindergarten to college.
Things To Do In Southlake Texas
Do you love the outdoors? Rustic ranch life? Shopping and fine dining? In Southlake, you’ll find all of these and more. You’ll never have to wonder what to do in Southlake!
- Grapevine Lake – The 8,000-acre Grapevine Lake offers fishing, boating, hiking, camping, and a floating water park for the adventurous outdoor fans in your life.
- Marshall Creek Ranch – This rustic ranch offers guided horseback riding through the wooded area around Lake Grapevine.
- Bob Jones Nature Center & Preserve – One of the most enriching things to do in Southlake is a visit to the Bob Jones Nature Center & Preserve, which offers more than 20 miles of hiking among 700 species of plants, flowers, and animals.
- Southlake Town Square – If your favorite things to do in Southlake Texas are shopping and eating, Southlake Town Square has it all. The area includes unique boutiques, local gourmet food, luxury retailers, and a beautiful town square where you can walk off your meal among live oak trees and fountains.
- Oktoberfest – Residents living in Southlake TX kick off fall in style with an annual German festival. The weekend event includes sports, shopping, handcrafted goods, and the unforgettable Wiener Dog Races.
Southlake Texas is an incredible place to live, work, and play. The Frankie Arthur Real Estate team can bring your dreams of living in Southlake TX to life – contact us today to get started.