At Frankie Arthur, our team is committed to helping homebuyers find new homes in the Dallas-Fort Worth area that suit their needs and their budgets. We understand that the housing market can be daunting, especially when you are moving to a new state. The DFW area of Texas has been one of the most popular destinations for new Texas residents, thanks to the welcoming housing market and ample job opportunities in the area. However, it’s essential to understand what you can expect in terms of property tax in DFW.
Buying a Home in DFW
I love living in the DFW area, and I’m sure you will, too. One of the most attractive aspects of moving to Texas is the lack of state-level income tax, but some newcomers to Texas find the property taxes in the state a bit higher than most. Texas property taxes are the seventh highest in the United States. The average effective property tax rate in Texas is 1.69%. The Dallas property tax rate changes by city and school district.
Property Tax Rates of DFW Cities
We can help you explore the many amazing homes for sale in the DFW area, but it’s important to think long-term for any home purchase. This means knowing your Dallas tax rate and what to expect in the future. While we understand that it’s important to consider the lowest property taxes in Texas, this shouldn’t be the only factor that goes into your home buying decision. Review the different DFW property tax rates of some of the most popular cities in the area and calculate the total tax rate by adding the school, county, and municipal rates of each location:
- The Addison property tax rate is 2.49%.
- The Alvarado property tax rate is 2.73%.
- The Bedford property tax rate is 2.39%.
- The Cedar Hill property tax rate is 2.87%.
- The Copper Canyon property tax rate is 1.94%.
- The Dallas property tax rate is 2.72%.
- The Decatur property tax rate is 2.42%.
- The Fairview property tax rate is 2.22%.
- The Fort Worth property tax rate is 2.77%.
- The Highland Park property tax rate is 2.08%.
- The Keller property tax rate is 2.56%.
- The Lake Dallas property tax rate is 2.57%.
- The McKinney property tax rate is 2.47%.
- The Oak Point property tax rate is 2.32%.
- The Plano property tax rate is 2.18%.
- The Rockwall property tax rate is 2.21%.
- The Shady Shores property tax rate is 2.22%.
- The University Park property tax rate is 2.11%.
- The Willow Park property tax rate is 2.75%.
This should help you determine which city in the DFW has a property tax rate you can afford. Remember, this is a combination of multiple property tax rates that will influence your annual tax bill.
Property Tax Rates of DFW School Districts
Families moving to Texas need to know the different school districts in the DFW area. The tax rate of your school district will influence your annual property tax bill. It’s vital to strike a balance between your preferred DFW school district and a property tax rate you can afford:
- The Allen ISD tax rate is 1.59%.
- The Arlington ISD tax rate is 1.37%.
- The Cedar Hill ISD tax rate is 1.52%.
- The Coppell ISD tax rate is 1.48%.
- The Dallas ISD tax rate is 1.28%.
- The Fort Worth ISD tax rate is 1.35%.
- The Grapevine-Colleyville ISD tax rate is 1.40%.
- The Highland Park ISD tax rate is 1.20%.
- The Lovejoy ISD tax rate is 1.67%.
- The Plano ISD tax rate is 1.40%.
- The Rockwall ISD tax rate is 1.44%.
- The Wylie ISD tax rate is 1.64%.
These are just a few of the 112 ISDs in the Dallas Fort Worth area. Search for your ideal ISD by determining your goals for your children’s education and reviewing your long-term tax budget carefully.
Property Tax Rates of DFW Counties
County-level property taxes generally make up the smallest portion of property tax rates in DFW, but it is still important to consider. The counties in the DFW metropolitan area each have their own county-level tax rates:
- The Collin County property tax rate is .27%.
- The Dallas County property tax rate is .66%.
- The Denton County property tax rate is .24%.
- The Ellis County property tax rate is .36%.
- The Hood County property tax rate is .42%.
- The Hunt County property tax rate is .75%.
- The Johnson County property tax rate is .53%.
- The Kaufman County property tax rate is .73%.
- The Parker County property tax rate is .62%.
- The Rockwall County property tax rate is .35%.
- The Tarrant County property tax rate is .61%.
- The Wise County property tax rate is .38%.
Now that you know the property tax rates of the counties, cities, and school districts of the DFW area, you should have an idea of what to expect when it comes to your annual tax bill when living in the DFW area.
Frankie Arthur can help you find the ideal home in the ideal location within the DFW metropolitan area. We can also answer any property tax-related questions you might have so you know what to expect when moving into any area of DFW.